Monday, October 8, 2012

Self-Made Billionaires

Look at Steve Jobs. Look at what he accomplished in his time here on Earth. He built one of the most successful companies in the entire world entirely from scratch! As of this year, Apple is worth more than the entire country of Greece, and the company’s worth is only increasing from there! The success of the Macintosh computer and the array of iDevices can be contributed to none other than Jobs himself. Similarly, the fundamentals of Microsoft were born and raised in a garage owned by the parents of Bill Gates! Gates brought Windows into this world, a feat that has forever changed computing for the better! Despite their infamous rivalry, these two men are the very faces of modern technology and their success has both motivated me and shaped my personal interests and life-goals. That's why I want to find out what allows certain self-made individuals such as Gates and Jobs to be so successful, even without a college degree. Is their success an ability that can be learned, or does it all come from rare talent.

In my admiration of these two geniuses, I couldn’t help but wonder what made them the perfect “man for the job,” and it wasn’t until I started looking into their personal backstories that I came across a peculiar similarity between Gates and Jobs: neither one of them graduated from college! Why? How? I can’t even comprehend how either of them could have become so successful without even a simple college degree!  Throughout my entire scholastic career I’ve been under the impression that if I didn’t go to college I’d be flipping burgers at Mickey D’s for the rest of my life.  It is quite clear that this is not the case with Jobs and Gates.

To achieve a greater clarity on what makes these two billionaires so successful I will be conducting research through a variety of sources that detail the lives of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, and through my findings I hope to unlock the mysteries behind their success and find possible correlations between these two college dropouts and their respective empires of modern computing. 

4 comments:

  1. I did not know that Jobs and Gates never went to college! I think that this a testimony to what someone with an idea and some drive and passion can accomplish. I think that it's interesting to also look at people like the founders of Facebook, Twitter, and Wikepedia. All of these people started with a unique concept and put all their effort behind it and found great success. It shows that although college can be extremely beneficial there are multiple ways of finding success. It would be very interesting to study the lives of these two men and figure out what similar traits they possessed that brought them to the success they found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, this is a great topic. These two have shaped the world we lived in and have most definitely provided us with the resources we make use of today. Understanding both of their different lives will be complicated, with the untimely death of Steve Jobs to the secrecy and complexity of Bill Gates. Revealing their success will be a great task and comparing them to each other will clash based on their two different ways of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to know what your topic question was, unless I missed it in your blog. I am truly interested with the making and development of iDevices and Apple as a company. Today, I am totally sucked into electronics, everything from laptops and iPads to MP3 players and of course the iPhone. My dad used to own a computer company when I was younger. His business closed down due to technology becoming more complex. Newer versions of PC and mac were definitely starting to make change in our society. I didn't realize Steve Jobs did not have a college degree, that's awesome and pretty interesting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete